Yes, Aaron Boone was serious.
The Yankees manager delivered the news to an emotional – and surprised – Jose Trevino that he was selected to his first All-Star game in a video posted by the Yankees Sunday. The first-year Yankees catcher, in the midst of a breakout season since arriving in an offseason trade, had no idea the message was coming.
He also needed a second confirmation.
“Holy s–t, you’re serious?” Trevino asked Boone after taking a second to savor the moment. “I had no clue, I was like, ‘I’m probably not gonna go [to the All-Star game], just take my three days, I was actually gonna go buy a car in Texas, like holy s–t. You’re serious, right?”
“You’re going to L.A., brother,” Boone responded.
Just like that, Trevino’s plans changed in a hurry.
Trevino will join fellow Yankees Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, Gerrit Cole, Nestor Cortes and Clay Holmes at Dodger Stadium for the 2022 MLB All-Star Game on July 19.
The 29-year-old arrived in New York after the Yankees’ trade with the Rangers, which sent Albert Abreu (who has since been DFA’d and returned to The Bronx) and Robby Ahlstrom to Texas.
Expected to split time with Kyle Higashioka at catcher after the Yankees sent Gary Sanchez to the Twins, Trevino has taken over the job. He’s slashing .255/.303/.438 with a .741 OPS. Perhaps more importantly, his defensive work behind the plate and rapport with the Yankees’ pitching staff has drawn rave reviews throughout the clubhouse.
Trevino previously played four seasons with the Rangers, where he hit .245/.270/.364.
“If you would’ve told me a year ago I wouldn’t have believed you,” Trevino said. “A New York Yankee and an All-Star? I wouldn’t believe you.”
Credit: Source link